Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Wild and Free: Foraging a spring cocktail

Today I decided to forage spring violets for violet syrup to make a cocktail.

We gathered about a cup of violets from our yard. When foraging, it's good to know how much you need so you don't take more than you need. I left the violets that weren't opened yet and for every three I pick, I leave one behind so that there will always be some left.


I washed the violets with water and vinegar and water two more times just to make sure they were clean. (We have chickens in our yard and countless deer and other critters.)

Next I boiled a cup and a half of water, poured it over the flowers and let them seep for 2 hrs.


After the violets have seeped, strain the liquid. It should be a beautiful color of blue.


Next, add the juice of half a lemon. As you pour it in the liquid will swirl and dance into a beautiful purple color. It's science magic!
Add 3/4 cups of sugar and reheat the liquid on the stove. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Let the liquid thicken into a syrup (about 10-15 mins).


Once the syrup has cooled, you can use it for many different things. I chose to make a cocktail!

Vodka Lemonade with Violets
Juice of 1.5 lemons
2 oz vodka
Water and ice to fill glass
Violet syrup to taste


1 comment:

  1. Yay, a new blog in the world! I love homeschooling blogs. :o)

    ReplyDelete